How to Choose a Qualified Hypnotherapist
With hypnosis and hypnotherapy becoming ever more popular in today’s modern world, it can be difficult to know how to choose the right Hypnotherapist.
In Canada, Hypnotherapy is not regulated and unfortunately, there are far too many practicing Hypnotherapists (not necessarily through any fault of their own) who have received inadequate or only the minimum degree of training. Some ‘schools’ even offer their qualification on the basis of a few correspondence lessons and the payment of a fee, with little or no classroom time or hands-on experience at all. It is a concern that an unskilled, untrained practitioner won’t be qualified enough and the client seeking treatment will walk away believing that Hypnosis in itself is ineffective, or doesn’t work.
The following are some questions you should definitely be asking before you give someone your hard earned cash.
Key Questions To Ask The Hypnotherapist
- Do they offer a no charge, no obligation consultation?
- What kind of experience do they have in treating my kind of problem?
- How long have they been in practice?
- What are their professional qualifications?
- How many hours of training have they had?
- *Are they registered with a professional body?
- Will they teach you self-hypnosis as part of the treatment?
- How soon should you see results?
- Who has access to your records?
- Do they assign Homework?
- What other treatments are they qualified in to help you?
- Do they have professional indemnity insurance?
Key Questions To Ask Yourself:
- Does the Hypnotherapist seem genuinely interested in my problem and me?
- Am I willing and able to do assigned homework?
- Does he or she seem knowledgeable and professional?
- Am I treated with respect?
- Do I feel accepted?
- Do I feel heard?
- Does his or her office feel like a professional haven?
- Am I comfortable with them?
* Being registered/accredited with a professional body means that a Hypnotherapist has achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved and recognized by their professional body.